Saturday, March 22, 2014

Artist Statement

I am a visual artist. 
copyright (c) Madi Tentinger 2010

I enjoy drawing, painting, and photography most. I enjoy practice and technique. My favorite media is watercolors, especially if I can draw out the subject, trace the main lines with waterproof pens, erase the pencil lines, and then color it in with watercolors; it's like making your own coloring book but with the cool effects water color paints are capable of making.

I struggle with making abstract art. It's much easier for me to have a set subject, whether it's a person, or an object. Landscapes can be difficult for me as well. But I like to challenge myself.

Some of my favorite artists include Salvador Dali and M.C. Escher for their absurd and mind-expanding subjects and incredible attention to detail.

I don't know a whole lot about other artists or art history but I enjoy learning about it.
Performance Art is new to me. It really has been testing me mentally and introduced me to a lot of new concepts. It can be frustrating to me at times because it seems that everything is art and the focus is more on ideas. I don't know how to judge it; I don't know what is good because I can't tell how much work is put into it. But I don't know that effort makes something more or less art. I suppose everything could be art. But that mind-expanding quality and the challenge of authority and normalcy is what intrigues me.

No comments:

Post a Comment